Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Video Games: Old and New

In honor of last weeks E3 and all the exciting announcements about the "next big thing" in video gaming, let's take a look back at some classics in video gaming that all have had big announcements about made about the future of their series.

To start let's go back to some of console gaming's earliest days with the NES. Kid Icarus Kid Icarus is a much beloved, almost cult-like, classic from this console. I regret to say that this is a game I have never actually played myself; however, I have heard many people expressing their strong desires for a new version of this game. Well, this year, their wishes have finally been granted with the announcement of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Now let's go ahead a little bit in time and take a look now at those good ol' donkeys... err, I mean, monkeys. Donkey Kong Country Donkey Kong Country is a great Super Nintendo classic. I remember playing this and watching it be played many, many times over at my best friends house. Banana grabbing, barrel smashing, and crazy animal antics abounded. Donkey Kong and his pals haven't been heard from much in recent years, especially in any sort of traditional gaming form, so the announcement of Donkey Kong Country Returns is especially exciting.

Finally for a (slightly) newer classic we can look at what is still hailed as one of the best video games of all time: the Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (Collector's Edition) - Nintendo 64 Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (Collector's Edition) - Nintendo 64. Because the Nintendo 64 was the very first video game console that I owned myself; I have the strongest sentimental ties to its games. Many of my favorite games come from the N64. Ocarina of Time is no exception; it is where I fell in love with our hero Link. I'll never forget meeting all the unique and endearing characters, learning the beautiful songs, exploring the dungeons, and fighting the bosses. Therefore, I am, of course, looking forward to the newest arrival in the Zelda series: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

There are so many other great classic games that I could talk about, but that will just have to be a post for another day. Enjoy these three great games and be sure to check out their newer counterparts when they get released.

No comments:

Post a Comment